Thursday, December 24, 2009

I Love Coconut Oil!

I have for quite some time, but it's only occurred to me now to write about it. I just love coconut oil. I really do. It is by far the choicest oil out there. Its multi-purpose demeanor and sweet, subtle scent make it irresistible for anyone approaching the bandwagon.

Science may falter a whole helluva lot, but not when it comes to this oil. Coconut oil is a saturated fat, which is not a bad thing like its name connotes! It was only in the 20th century when the whole "anti-saturated fat" movement began that coconut and other tropical oils became feared as "unhealthy," when indeed they were replaced with scientifically less healthy polyunsaturated fats, such as canola, soybean, safflower and corn oils. I guess western culture just loves their "un", "anti", "low," "zero," and "de" products, if for no other reason than psychologically. As a result of the pro-unsaturated fat diet, Americans have largely abandoned the intake of these healthy oils and butter, opting for margarine and grain oils. The chemical compounds of these replacement products are not broken down so easily and actually tend to become rancid in the body. This in turn creates congestion all over the body, i.e. heart disease, colon malfunction, high cholesterol, cancer, etc.

Coconut oil is making a comeback, however! The recognizable health benefits abound: it has antioxidant properties (reducing rancidity and the need for vitamin E), directly stimulates the thyroid (which keeps you lean and active, yum!), is antiviral, antimicrobial and antibacterial. And in this terrible cancer study I read about, conducted in 1987, a group of scientists chemically induced cancer in "the subjects"/aka animals. One group was fed corn oils and the other coconut oil. 32% of the corn group got the cancer whereas only 3% of the coconut group got it. What large protective qualities you have, Coconut Oil!

But besides all that science stuff, it just feels good. It is technically a "superfood," which according to superfood expert David Wolfe, contains several proverbial "tricks up its sleeve," instead of just one or two. I outlined several of them above, so don't you forget em! No but really, in the practical sense, I use coconut oil for all of my moisturizing needs. I leave it in the kitchen and the bathroom (or bedroom, depending on where I'm slathering myself). With a high smoking point it is perfect for cooking and baking. Every day my eggs have a slightly sweet tinge. And on the skin and hair? Divine! It is extremely good for them--not only is it a far better moisturizer than any cream you can buy in a bottle, you get all of that goodness without the harmful product chemicals! You don't have to smell like a vat of tangy shit! I use it every day and my skin is like buttah. Buttah! Pluuuuuus, ladiezzzz, if and when you are pregnant, I couldn't imagine a better stretch mark preventative. The fatty acids elasticize the skin. Ooh baby. P.S. just don't put it in a squirt bottle; it turns to a butter-like solid at 76 degrees.

I recommend picking up a jar of virgin coconut oil (raw, unprocessed) today. Or tomorrow. Well, tomorrow's Christmas, so maybe Saturday. It's slightly more expensive than those gross polyunsaturated fats (online is cheaper--only $20.99 for a 54-oz jar on Amazon!), but it is more than worth it. I wish I myself were selling coconut oil so I could profit from it, but I'm not, I just want to spread the joy coconut oil has brought to my life (and unknowingly to those around me bwahaha). Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment