Saturday, February 6, 2010

Making Progress


Now I'm not one to endorse companies, as I distrust most corporations and perceive them as callous, corruptible soulsuckers, but my experience with Progressive has inspired me to pass along a little good advice. I never personally bought or dealt with a car insurance policy until these past few months (haven't had a car since I was 19), so all the commercials and rate-of-quote talk has always soared over my head. I assumed they were all out to get my money and screw me, like any good corporate clan. But since I assumed responsibility for my dad's old car (subsequently my sister's old car) this past fall, I've been doing the responsible thing and insuring it. Imagine that. Totally all up on this grid. Without giving it much thought I just went with Progressive because that's what Allison had used for her previous policy, and $150 for six months seemed like a good deal. I'm so glad I did! The monthly rate is delightfully low (though it is a few bucks cheaper to pay the 6-month fee in full), and best of all, the customer service representatives are genuinely warm and extremely helpful.

You know when you call a company and you're on the line for 10 minutes just trying to get to a real person? Of course you do. This is America. But in the end you wind up speaking with someone named "Dave" who has a curious Bengali accent. Sometimes Dave is helpful, sometimes he's not. Or better yet, you end up with Tracy who obviously hates her job, her life, her ex-husband, and her chain-smoking boss for not letting her take two breaks per shift so she can have any hope of losing those 20 pounds she gained birthing that ungrateful sonofabitch's two bastards. Progressive's customer service reps are neither of those things. Whether they hate their lives or not is irrelevant because they have a sense of professionalism that transcends that wah-wah bullshit. They understand that when a customer calls their insurance company, it's not for their health or leisure, so being as friendly as possible (not quite Paxil-happy) can only help. And it does. I don't dread calling my insurance company because I know whatever problem I have can either be quickly worked out over the phone or even online.

I've been dealing with a lot of customer service reps lately amidst all my important-paper-phone-calls, improving my PR skills, and Progressive is by far my favorite company to speak with. They are obviously committed to quality service. If it's because they're well-paid and well-trained, then holla! We need more jobs with money to shell out and a solid business ethic to pass on.

I recommend Progressive to anyone looking for a change in their insurance. Watch out for me on the road--I'm insured and not afraid to use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment