Friday, March 15, 2013

Depeche Mode Drops 2nd Single "Soothe My Soul"

Whoo! With their second single off their highly anticipated 13th album Delta Machine, Depeche takes the Tantric route (or rapey, so I hope she consented) to spiritual expression in "Soothe My Soul":


I'm coming for you
when the sun goes down
I'm coming for you
when there's no one around
I come to your house
and break down the door
girl I'm shaking
and I need more

There's only one way to soothe my soul...


Pretty sure I'd be down for that.

Anyway, I didn't know the single was being released today, and I'm so glad it was because I couldn't wait to hear more studiostuff from Delta Machine (howdya like that new word, studiostuff?). 

FULL DISCLOSURE: due to an abundance of shitty video streams all week, I've just now watched the March 11 "Live on Letterman" webcast, and while the ratio of new songs to classics made a nice setlist, I don't think it was their greatest performance. So it was such a treat to hear the studio version of "Soothe My Soul" this morning.

"Soothe My Soul," like the sort of confusingly-issued "Angel" a few months ago, is heavily electronic. I'm pleased to hear it because we know how much of these boys' souls is in electronic music. Though it does appear to be true that with Delta Machine they are returning to a big rock and blues influence, like much of Songs of Faith and Devotion and even Violator were. 

But I've said before and I'll say again that I am not one of those looking to recreate these albums. That was a dangerous time in their personal lives, and while the music that resulted is astounding, great musicians also DIE all the time in the process of making great music. From what I've seen of Delta Machine, Depeche Mode is still quite capable of making brilliant music without death and destruction and all that shite. 

I'll save the track-by-track analysis for the actual album release. Eleven days! Squeee!

Looking forward to the music video...



No comments:

Post a Comment