Sunday, August 18, 2013

Shit Yeah I'm Going to the Austin City Limits Festival!

I was raised in a little town called Austin, but it's in a really lame part of Minnesota, and I've never seen the vastly more popular Texas capital. That will change mid-October when I attend the second weekend of the Austin City Limits Music Festival.
For a while now I've known Depeche Mode was a headliner, but I didn't think much of it considering my impending life-changing experience with them next month (NEXT MONTH!). Of course when I actually looked at the ACL lineup I saw that it includes other heady names: The Cure, Atoms for Peace, Muse, Grimes, Neko Case, Electric Guest, Lionel Richie. So I gleefully bought a ticket and trusted everything would work out.

I see Dawes also has a slot (should I try to get backstage? think they'll remember me?). Other acts I don't know as well but am curious about seeing live: Queens of the Stone Age, HAIM, Shovels & Rope, The Black Angels, Wilco, The National.

Of course, as festivals always do, many of these bands are cruelly scheduled at the same time. For example, I'm going to have to choose between the bulk of Depeche Mode and Muse's headlining sets, and it's no secret who I will likely end up choosing. Saturday night should be easy, as I'll definitely check out Grimes in the early evening and then have a casual couple hours before the full and unadulterated Cure set (good thing I don't give a shit about Kings of Leon). Bummer, Sunday I will miss the one and only Lionel Richie, but Atoms for Peace will more than make up for it.


Now I've been thinking a lot about Muse, and it's interesting to me that I have not completely given them my heart & soul because I really seem to dig them. If ya like a bit of trivia, their 2004 Glastonbury performance was voted the Best Ever Act to appear at the legendary British festival, above such weighty names as Radiohead, Paul McCartney, Davie Bowie, and Stevie Wonder. (Watch that show with me here!) The Glastonbury crowd still has a hard on for them too, as in another recent poll they are the most anticipated potential act for next year, even after their last appearance there in 2010! BLIMEY! So to ease the tension of largely missing them in Austin, I may just attend their Charlotte show on September 3rd. 


Also: here's an Austin blogger who's given me a bit of insight into the high percentage of local bands gracing the festival stages this year. Shitchya!


I haven't been to a big festival in--come to think of it I haven't been to a festival of this size ever. And yes, I'm going alone, but I rather like it that way. Once I figure out my plane tickets and hotel, my only other question will be what will I wear?? Don't fret, I'll share my outfit choices for both the ACL Fest and Sept 12 DM show when the times come!


xx


No comments:

Post a Comment