Sunday, August 25, 2013

That NSYNC Reunion Was Some Bullshit...Bitch

This began as a single tweet. Then I realized I needed more room to breathe, so I moved to Facebook status. But fuck it, I'm now dedicating a whole blog post to this atrocity because I'm so mad about it. But I'll keep it short because really, none of this matters.

The *highly anticipated NSYNC "reunion" performance at the VMAs tonight turned out to be all of two minutes out of Justin Timberlake's 17-minute Superbowl performance-style medley (I think he was receiving some kind of early middle-age Lifetime Achievement award? No? Then...what?). 

The four former members of NSYNC appeared in one camp of JT's multi-stage festival performance in what was at first a sort of heavenly light to join Justin for part of his song "Girlfriend," and the scraps of the remaining minute was left to the group's 2000 hit "Bye Bye Bye." This turned out to be just a dance breakdown and one chorus of the song, during which they did a lot of sumo squats in too-tight suits and distracting stage lighting. When Justin had had enough of that he literally sent them underground so he could continue being the famous one.

Don't get me wrong, I think Justin Timberlake is swell. I love The 20/20 Experience. I'm glad he exists. But I also loved the best boy band ever (yeah, NSYNC!) so WTF was this awful experience about and why are so many people into it? This was an enormous waste of time, and my nostalgic tween heart of the late '90s can't take it. I just want to do this to whoever came up with this stupid, cruel idea.

Highlight: At the very end poor JC took his "baby baby baAabehhhh" moment, for which he will no doubt pay dearly.  

*Actually, I didn't know anything about this until it was happening. VMA tweets kept getting mixed in with Breaking Bad ones.  



1 comment:

  1. All I got to say is...

    Jesse needs to get his shit together.

    ReplyDelete